Keswick Ravenshoe Pastoral Charge ministry announcement:
Please meet Rev. Calin Lau
Rev. Calin Lau studied in the Chinese University of Hong Kong. He obtained his B.Sc. (Hon.) in 1982, MDiv. in 1987, and Dip. Ed. Specialized in Religious Education in 1992. He worked as a teacher in Hong Kong, teaching Biology and Christian Education and was ordained as pastor in 1990. In 1992, he left Hong Kong to pursue further study in German and Theology in Basel University of Switzerland.
In 1996, his family has decided to start a new life in Canada and joined the United Church of Canada (UCC) as a congregation member in 1998. As a lay person, he participated actively in church activities in various capacities over a long period of time. He had been Sunday School teacher for youths and adults, supply preacher for both Chinese and English ministries, adviser of youth Fellowship, coordinator for In-reaching ministry, Website and Communication ministry, Sport ministry – badminton, and Worship and Music ministry. Other than that, he organized retreat programs for all ages, being presbytery representative, secretary as well as chairperson of the church official board.
In 2015, after prudent and deep reflections, he decided to leave his insurance-related profession and recommitted himself in his calling to ministry. Upon completion of the UCC required theology courses at Emmanuel College, he served the Calgary Chinese United Church in Alberta for 8 months, and then did his internship in Theodore-Springside Pastoral Charge in Saskatchewan, with Walter Farquharson, moderator of United Church of Canada (1900-1992) as his education supervisor. He was ordained in May 27, 2017 by Toronto Conference, and served the Mississauga Chinese United Church until June 30, 2018.
He speaks English, Cantonese, Mandarin, German and a little bit of modern Hebrew. He likes reading, watching movies, playing badminton and doing Tai Chi exercise. He has a positive attitude about church’s future and is willing to travel with anyone in his faith journey.
KESWICK UNITED CHURCH OFFICIAL BOARD STRUCTURE:
The official board is comprised of two committees:
SPIRITUAL CARE COMMITTEE:
This committee works with the minister to co-ordinate and plan Christian Education and Weekly Services.
Committee members: Louise Rye, Chair. Shirley Stiles, Andrea Brown,
CHURCH OPERATIONS COMMITTEE:
This committee deals with the day to day responsibilities involving the Church Building.
Committee members: Lyn Sharpless, Chair ~ Ralph Cox, Jack Wilson, Dale Sangster, Diane Armstrong, Marilou Clements, Hazel Todish,
The committees meet at 7:00 pm the first Tuesday of the month prior to the Official Board meeting which starts at 8:00 pm. Both committees report to the board as a hole with upcoming planned events and recommendations as agreed to at the individual committee meetings.
WHO DO I CONTACT WITH QUESTIONS
For General Inquiries please contact the Church Office at: 905-476-5532.
WHAT MUSIC IS PLAYED DURING SERVICES?
Our music is a mix of traditional and contemporary styles. Principle instrument is piano supplemented occasionally with organ.
Choir practice is scheduled every Thursday at 7:30 pm. If you can sing in the shower why not sing in the choir.
WHAT DO YOU ENJOY ABOUT YOUR CHURCH?
We enjoy the feeling of welcome, acceptance, belonging, friendship and community.
HOW DO PEOPLE DRESS FOR SERVICE?
People dress however they most feel comfortable. Dress-casual seems to be the most common, with everything from blue jeans to dress clothes being OK.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE SERVICE
Refreshments and fellowship involving all, young and old, is enjoyed after the service. It is a time to socialize and catch up with others.
HISTORY OF KESWICK UNITED CHURCH
Keswick United Church first started in 1874 in a red brick building that to this day is still the Narthex of the present Church. In the beginning, the Church was a Methodist Church until 1925, when the Methodist Church joined with the Presbyterians and Congregationalists to become what is known today as the United Church of Canada.
In 1930 the shell of the existing sanctuary was built with the bell and existing bell tower added at the same time. The Fireside Room, meeting halls and a kitchen were added in the 1950’s to house Sunday School and community activities and a complete renovation was undertaken in 1964 to remodel the interior of the church sanctuary.
The structure has remained basically the same with the major change in 2010 being the placement of a new roof and interior renovations to modernize the washrooms and office areas.