KESWICK UNITED CHURCH OFFICIAL BOARD STRUCTURE:
The official board is comprised of two committees:
SPIRITUAL CARE COMMITTEE:
This committee works with the minister to co-ordinate and plan Christian Education and Weekly Services.
Committee Chair: Shirley Stiles
CHURCH OPERATIONS COMMITTEE:
This committee deals with the day to day responsibilities involving the Church Building.
Committee Chair: Lyn Sharpless
The committees meet at a time a date as determined before the Official Board Meeting which takes place the 1st Tuesday of the month. Both committees report to the board as a hole with upcoming planned events and recommendations as agreed to at the individual committee meetings.
WHO DO I CONTACT WITH QUESTIONS
For General Inquiries please contact the Church Office at: 905-476-5532.
WHAT MUSIC IS PLAYED DURING SERVICES?
Our music is a mix of traditional and contemporary styles. Principle instrument is piano supplemented occasionally with organ.
WHAT DO YOU ENJOY ABOUT YOUR CHURCH?
We enjoy the feeling of welcome, acceptance, belonging, friendship and community.
HOW DO PEOPLE DRESS FOR SERVICE?
People dress however they most feel comfortable. Dress-casual seems to be the most common, with everything from blue jeans to dress clothes being OK.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE SERVICE
Refreshments and fellowship involving all, young and old, is enjoyed after the service. It is a time to socialize and catch up with others.
HISTORY OF KESWICK UNITED CHURCH
Keswick United Church first started in 1874 in a red brick building that to this day is still the Narthex of the present Church. In the beginning, the Church was a Methodist Church until 1925, when the Methodist Church joined with the Presbyterians and Congregationalists to become what is known today as the United Church of Canada.
In 1930 the shell of the existing sanctuary was built with the bell and existing bell tower added at the same time. The Fireside Room, meeting halls and a kitchen were added in the 1950’s to house Sunday School and community activities and a complete renovation was undertaken in 1964 to remodel the interior of the church sanctuary.
The structure has remained basically the same with the major change in 2010 being the placement of a new roof and interior renovations to modernize the washrooms and office areas.